New Orleans Style Shrimp and Grits
- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded Romano Cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter for sauteing shrimp heads
- 2 pounds large shrimp heads on are preferred
- 1/4 pound butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup beer Budweiser, Abita, or other light tasting beer
- 1 tablespoons A Cajun Life All Purpose Cajun Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon A Cajun Life Seafood boil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary leaves crushed
- Add 1 cup of grits to 2 cups of water and 2 cups of milk.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Add cheese just before serving, and stir through until the cheese has just melted.
- Rinse shrimp in cold water.
- Pinch off heads and place heads in a large skillet with 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Sauté shrimp heads until the fat in the heads melts and the oil turns red in color.
- Remove heads.
- While the shrimp heads are sauteing, peel and de-vein the shrimp.
- In a large skillet add the 1/4 pound of butter and garlic over medium heat until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add Worcestershire Sauce, A Cajun Life Seafood Boil, and A Cajun Life All Purpose Seasoning.
- Add the beer and stir.
- When the sauce begins to bubble, add the shrimp.
- Flip the shrimp when it begins to turn pink and shrink.
- Cook for one minute more and remove shrimp.
- Continue to cook the sauce until it reduces by 1/3, then remove from the stove.
- Add 5 tablespoons of butter and stir until the butter melts into the sauce. The sauce should be thick now.
Serve with Shrimp and Sauce over Grits sprinkled with Cheese accompanied with your favorite flavor of Swamp Pop! Enjoy!