Spicy Buttermilk Chicken Sandwich
Special Thanks to our friends over at Better With Biscuits for creating this recipe!
Check them out at www.betterwithbiscuits.com
A simple buttermilk marinade and spice mixture is the key to this perfectly seasoned, crispy, spicy buttermilk fried chicken sandwich.
Author: Cyn Robinson
Recipe type: Dinner
- ½ cup mayo
- ¼ cup dijon mustard
- 1 tsp cilantro, minced (optional)
- ½ tsp garlic paste
- ½ tsp teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp hot sauce (more if you like it spicy)
- ½ tsp All-purpose rub from A Cajun Life (can substitute for cajun seasoning)
- 10 oz of cole slaw
- ⅛-1/4 cup cajun mayo
- 2½ cups of Chicken Fry from A CAJUN LIFE®
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon chicken rub from A CAJUN LIFE®; divided
- 3-8 ounce skinless, boneless chicken breasts, halved crosswise
- Peanut oil or lard for frying
- 6 brioche buns
- dill pickle slices, optional garnish
- Mix ingredients together, cover and chill.
- Combine ingredients in a small bowl, cover and chill until ready to use.
Fried Chicken Assembly
- In a shallow bowl, whisk buttermilk, hot sauce, half tablespoon A CAJUN LIFE® chicken rub and add chicken marinating for at least two hours.
- Pour enough oil into a large dutch oven to deep fry and heat over medium-high heat until it registers between 350-360 degrees. In a shallow bowl stir the A CAJUN LIFE® chicken fry with remaining A CAJUN LIFE® chicken rub. Using tongs remove one piece of chicken from buttermilk and allow the excess buttermilk to drip back into the bowl. Dredge the chicken into the chicken fry, coating both sides.
- Add chicken pieces to dutch oven being careful not to crown the pan (typically I fry two pieces at a time), cooking until golden brown about 5-7 minutes. Transfer chicken to a wire rack with several paper towels lined underneath; season with a little more A CAJUN LIFE® chicken rub. Repeat until all chicken is cooked.
- Spread cut sides of buns with Cajun mayo. Top the bottom of the bun with piece of chicken, top with slaw and pickles and place top bun on sandwich. Enjoy!